Sunday, September 26, 2010

CI 3: 100 Shots

At first, I found this assignment to be challenging. Not in taking the actual photos, but choosing how and where to set up my scene. I shot this assignment at home in the evening after being at Grand Prix Amusements all day shooting race cars, golf swings and bouncing bodies! I was tired. No...I was exhausted. This certainly was a good exercise in forcing yourself to be creative when all you want to do is go to sleep!

It was an overcast day and raining, so shooting my object outside was out of the question. I finally decided to set up my scene on the kitchen counter, under the halogen lights. I felt content with this setup considering my environmental limitations and frazzled state of mind! So, I strapped on my headphones, put on some relaxing music and took a few minutes to breathe and relax into the moment. Once I started getting 'up close and personal' with my object, I lost myself in this beautiful, abstract experience. About an hour and a half passed by the time I had reached 100 shots, but I had a few more ideas I wanted to explore so I kept shooting for another hour. I think I could have went on, but my body was saying 'NO! Time to rest.'

I thought the task of focusing so intently on my subject to be quite magical. The play of light on the coloured, shaped glass created so many interesting reflections and lines. I enjoyed viewing the other areas of my scene while looking through my glass object and how it created distorted and abstract images. Using a glass vessel as my object, I found there were many options to finding unique and interesting shots. I explored it from many different angles, positions and orientations.  I eventually filled the vase with water and an entire new set of images became available. Despite the number of photos that I captured. I felt there were many more possibilities to be explored.

To view the photos for this assignment, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment